We are the World

Its a blog on Emerging Technologies, Music, Film reviews. Have to name this blog as "We are the world" as that particular song is one of my all time favourite written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie and sung by Multi-artist group of Dianna ross, Ray charles,Steve wonder,etc.

Friday, June 24, 2005

(Kozhambu)Ounty and Pilchar(Rasam)



Most of the time i end up cooking mostly Ounty [Kozhambu] or Pilchar [ Rasam] for my Dinner. Ounty is a sourashtra term., now wait, what is sourashtra ? Long Long ago, thousands of people primarily from somanath temple area migrated from saurashtra region (western gujarat) towards south. it could be because of gazini's invasion or to showcase their silk weaving expertise. There are various theories behind this migration. ? We do identify ourselves as tamil outside as great poet Bharathy says it’s our “thandhayar language”. More about our community and culture in future blogs…

Coming back to Ounty, it will be delicious dish if made with Cauliflower, Potato, Brinjal, Garlic. I really feel home when I eat this. As Bharathiraja says “Man Vaasanai”, Ounty Vaasanai drives me crazy when its cooked. Thanks a lot to Ounty Boorkho [Koazhambu Podi] made by my sweet mom and our house maid in madurai. As soon as anybody taste this, the first question that they will put forward is “Which Sambar Powder is this?”. I always reply them that it is a home made magical powder which involves strict ratio mixing of masalas and mantras.

2 Comments:

At 2:26 AM, Blogger Ram C said...

hi sathish

are you from "Mahal" area in Madurai? I had one friend from that area. We were staying in KK.Nagar and used to come to 'Panthadi streets' to my Grandma's house....

Still I remember the people around there...

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger crsathish said...

dear ram, you are correct. i belong to south gate area in madurai which is in close proximity with "Panthadi Streets".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home